Books are an ocean of knowledge.
You can read a couple of hundred pages in a few hours and you get the wisdom of the world distilled.
When you are starting out, learning from the legendries is invaluable.
Want to learn how to be a copywriter?
Now, only reading books won’t make you improve your copy overnight, just as reading fitness books won’t give you six-pack abs.
You are going to have to apply what you learn. A great way to supplement your copywriting education and jumpstart your learning is to start writing ad copy. Writing a copy will help you understand the book better.
Either way, to become a good copywriter, you must read the best copywriting books. There is no way about it.
Here’s my plan for using books to improve your copy (even if you are just starting out):
Read a copywriting book.
Then go and use 2-3 things you learned from the book to write a piece of copy.
That way you start to internalize the concepts.
You will learn more from one book using this method. Then if you were to read 100 books in a row…..just reading.
I would suggest buying a copy rather than reading it on Kindle or computer. Now. I have no scientific rationale for this, but I think reading an actual book is a much engaging experience.
You get to touch the paper, the cover, turn the pages. When you underline the important things and write notes by the side, you tend to understand the concept better.
Also, when you pay good money, those books become an investment. You are more inclined to take action on investment than on the free book you ripped off the internet.
So, with that been said, here is
The List of 12 Best Copywriting Books to Read In 2021
1. The Copywriter’s Handbook: A Step by Step Guide to Writing Copy That Sells – Robert W Bly
- The book that every copywriter should read who is just starting out or if you feel like you do not have copy writing ‘’figured out’’ yet. You also get insights on copywriting basics. This is a kind copywriting book for beginners.
- It tells you that you do not have to be a genius or have an inborn talent to write the copy that sells, rather it should be writing from the heart.
2. The Well-Fed Writer: Financial Self Sufficiency as a Commercial Freelancer in Less Than Six Months Or Less – Peter Bowerman
- Freelancing writing book that teaches you how to charge what you are worthy of.
- It helps you to break into freelance copywriting and when you are finding it a challenge to raise your rate.
3. Cashvertising: How To Use More Than 100 Secrets of Ad-Agency Psychology to Make Big Money Selling Anything to Anyone – Drew Eric Whitman
- It gives you the secrets to influencing people to buy.
- It teaches tips, tricks, and strategies that the copywriter uses to persuade people to buy like crazy.
- This book educates you on how to create a powerful ad copy, how to make people believe what you say, effective tricks for writing magnetic headlines.
- Trains you on what you should always/never do in your copywriting ads.
- Teaches you how to spice up your copy with powerful visual writing.
4. Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion – Robert B. Cialdini
- It’s a powerful classic that modern copywriters should read to understand the psychology of why people say yes and how to apply these insights ethically in business.
- For copywriters, it’s less of a how-to and more of a what not to do.
Want To Become A Kickass Public Speaker? Click Here
5. On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft – Stephen King
- The semi instructional writing book that is packed with inspiration. A great one to improve your editing skills.
- This book reveals and gives a practical view of the writer’s craft, comprising the basic tools of the trade every reader must-have.
- You will get a lot of general life wisdom in the book.
6. All Marketers are Liars: The Underground Classic That Explains How Marketing Really Works – Why Authenticity Is the Best Marketing of All – Seth Godin
- The marketing book that shows you the psychology behind all the copywriting.
- It focuses on understanding the story inside your customer’s head and matching it with it. Once you understand the story inside someone’s head, you can write the copy that converts.
- It gives insights on marketing, copywriting, being a smart consumer, or getting along better with people.
Want To Know Which Books to Read to Gain Marketing Insights in 2021 Read Here.
7. Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions – Dan Ariely
- This is a behavioral economic book that explores the weird ways people make decisions.
- This is supposedly a non-copywriting book, but it will help you learn the difference between what people say makes them tick and what actually does. Let you know the process behind decision making.
8. EPIC Content Marketing: How to Tell A Different Story, Break Through the Clutter, And Win More Customers By Marketing Less – Joe Pulizzi
- Teaches to discover and develop your content marketing mission statement.
- Helps determine your content niche and what should they do to attract and retain customers.
- To leverage social media and email channels to create and grow your audience.
9. The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing: Violate Them at Your Own Risk! – Al Ries & Jack Trout
- Twenty-two innovative rules for understanding and succeeding in the international marketplace. What works and what does not?
- It reveals 22 laws of marketing -including the Law of Mind and Law of Hype.
- Provides many insights that are still relevant and provide a clear path to success.
10. Copywriting: The High Paid Content Writer Secrets About Powerful Copy That Sells and Generate Leads – Federico Fort
- You would learn the business writing rules that you should revel in breaking.
- It teaches you how to apply emotional drivers to your writing in a B2B environment and how to write powerful stories step by step.
- A must-read for aspiring novice copywriter wanting to master their skills as a real Master Copywriter.
- This book really boosts your business writing and communication skills that will make you stand out.
Copywriting is one of the niches in digital marketing. But if you, Want to Learn Digital Marketing From An Expert For Free? Click Here.
11. KILLER- Emotion Driven Copywriting: How to Write Amazing Copy Even If You Newbie
- This book helps you eliminate writer’s block forever.
- Teaches you the copywriting formula.
- Makes you understand why belief is the real secret to getting your prospect to buy.
- It offers a bonus on copywriting examples, how to write FB ads, and connectors.
12. Story: Substance, Structure, Style and the Principles of Screenwriting – Robert McKee
- This book is not directly related to copywriting meaning this is a screenwriting book that helps master storytelling.
- You will learn it’s not enough to write interesting stuff but also include surprise along. The surprise is what keeps the readers engage in reading.
- This book is for advanced copywriters who already know the basics of copywriting or anyone who is interested in screenwriting. Either way, this book is full of surprises.